Sanitization Checklist for Your Restaurant
Keeping your restaurant meticulously cleaned and sanitized is more important than ever amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Diners are expecting a higher level of cleanliness, pushing you and your staff to create a healthy and safe dining environment. The cleaning experts at Berk International are sharing some best practices on how to sanitize your restaurant and an essential restaurant cleaning checklist to reinforce the safety of your employees and customers.
Why Sanitizing Is Important for Your Restaurant
While regularly cleaning your restaurant should have been something you’ve been practicing, it’s now going to be something guests require. But do you know the difference between cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing? Some may consider them to be the same thing but they are quite different.
- Cleaning removes food, dust, dirt, and debris from your surfaces or cooking utensils using a mild soap.
- Disinfecting uses chemicals to kill germs on your high touch surfaces and usually needs to be left on the object for a certain period.
- Sanitizing reduces the number of germs on a surface to a safe level. When sanitizing correctly, you can effectively kill 99% of germs, pathogens, and bacteria. Most sanitizing solutions must be left on the surface for a minute or longer to work properly.
While many of your guests are eager to walk through your restaurant’s doors, others might be unsure if it’s safe to return. That’s why establishing a restaurant cleaning checklist can help you build trust with your post-COVID-19 customers. Ensure your diners’ safety is your top priority by creating a clean and germ-free space where they can relax and enjoy a meal out of the comfort of their own home.
Restaurant Kitchen Cleaning and Sanitizing
Long before COVID-19 was a household name, 75% of diners would still steer clear of a restaurant with negative reviews about its cleanliness. That number is probably higher today, so we’re sharing how to sanitize and clean your restaurant so your guests don’t have to worry about the pandemic while dining with you.
An everyday cleaning checklist should include:
- Wiping down the kitchen walls
- Cleaning and sanitizing countertops, grills, cooking ranges, microwaves, toasters, coffee makers, and fryers several times a day. These areas need special attention because spills and messes often occur here.
- Disinfecting all kitchen slabs, pre areas, cutting boards, cooking utensils, and slicers
- Cleaning out grease traps and wipe up any grease spills or stains
- Cleaning and clearing beverage dispenser heads and soda guns
- Cleaning and unclogging all sinks after each use.
- Towels, rags, uniforms, and aprons should be washed after each use
- Sweeping the floor of the kitchen and walk-in fridge
- Mopping the floors with a disinfectant
- Emptying all trash bins
Certain areas may not need to be cleaned thoroughly every day but should get special attention at least once a week. These areas include:
- The walls, doors, and racks of your oven should be cleaned with a soft sponge and mild detergent
- De-liming your sinks and faucets
- Soaking your deep fryer baskets, empty all the used oil, and clean out the inside
- The walk-in fridge should be emptied, washed, and sanitized
- The kitchen floor drains need to be cleared and cleaned with a degreaser
Certain areas or appliances may not be used regularly, so cleaning them once a month will suffice. This includes:
- Clearing and cleaning out your freezers
- Running cleaning agents through tea and coffee makers
- Emptying and sanitizing your ice machines
- Washing hood vents and cleaning the filters
- Washing the walls behind stoves, ovens, and fryers with warm, soapy water to get rid of grease
- Wiping down all food storage areas
- Checking and changing out pest traps
At Berk International, we have the necessary restaurant cleaning supplies to ensure your kitchen is cleaned, sanitized, and disinfected to keep your customers happy and safe. Whether you’re looking for wipers, tissues, or towels, know you can count on us for all your intelligent wiping solutions. Contact us today to learn more about our superior restaurant cleaning supplies.